How Does zuPOO Work?
By Jayton Miller
Colon cleanses seem to be all the rage these days as they line the shelves of health and supplement stores. The question remains do they actually work? And if so what's the difference between them?
At UMZU we formulate our supplements to be the most effective supplements on the market. To accomplish this all of our supplements must adhere to our rigid ingredients standards:
- All-natural and non-GMO ingredients
- Scientifically-backed ingredients with the clinically effective dose
- No artificial ingredients, such as high-fructose corn syrup or food dye
But the question remains...
How Does zuPOO Work?:
zuPOO works primarily in 4 ways:
1. Increasing Peristalsis - Peristaltic contractions are the contraction of the digestive tract. The intestines that make up the digestive tract contain muscle tissue that when stimulated properly can work to push out a lot of waste that has been building up in the digestive system.
2. Lubrication - Many times when people are struggling with digestive issues it’s because their digestive tract is not hydrated. A dry digestive tract doesn’t have the lubrication necessary to move out waste. Drinking enough water is important in combating this, however, several of the ingredients in zuPOO also act as a lubricant.
3. Chelation - zuPOO works by having strategic chelators to attach to harmful substances and pull them out of the digestive tract. You can imagine a chelator like a magnet that is capable of attaching to toxins like heavy metals that are "stuck" in the digestive tract. When a chelator attaches to these heavy metals they can then be excreted out of the body.
4. Reduce Inflammation - zuPOO contains a number of potent anti-oxidants that help to improve digestion by alleviating both systemic and intestinal inflammation.
As we’ve already mentioned, we’ve only included ingredients with clinical research supporting them. In our literature review, we found that the following are the most effective for improving your digestive health and cleaning out your colon are:
- Aloe Ferox
- Slippery Elm Extract
- Senna Leaf
- Milk Thistle
- Fennel Seed
- Cayenne Pepper Extract
- Cascara Sagrada
- Burdock Root
- Buckthorn Bark
- Bentonite Clay
All ten ingredients in zuPOO can aid your digestive health by improving your body’s natural detoxification processes.
You may be able to get many of the ingredients we’ve included in zuPOO individually. However, taking a supplement that has everything in it is much more convenient, and is even more potent than the ingredients on their own.
It’s much easier to take two capsules a day than it is to force down a handful of single-ingredient products that may or may not be working.
Here’s what just two capsules of zuPOO provides you with.
What Is Aloe Ferox?
You have likely heard of aloe vera. This substance is found in most topical creams for relieving itchiness and other skin problems. It’s also a mainstay in body lotions and shampoos.
Most people, however, are unfamiliar with aloe vera’s cousin, aloe ferox (also known as bitter aloe and cape aloe).
This compound is a godsend for anyone struggling with the typical symptoms associated with poor digestion, which is what we get into in this article.
First, let’s examine the aloe vera plant. This species is known for its spiky green leaves. It’s often mistaken as a type of cacti, though it’s actually an evergreen succulent plant with origins in the Arabian Peninsula.
The plant is cultivated for its gel-like substance inside the leaf. The gel is used in Chinese and Ayurvedic folk medicine for treating a number of external ailments. This includes reducing acne, exfoliating the skin, and even repairing dead skin cells in the scalp.
Aloe Ferox Benefits:
- Colon Cleanser - Aloe ferox has also been used as a colon cleanser in South Africa for over 400 years. Locals would remove the leaves and place them around a well to allow the sap to ooze to the bottom. As the sap dries, it hardens into a crystalline form and is administered as a natural laxative. Its use as folk medicine is also supported by modern science..
- In a 2004 study, subjects were given an aloe ferox supplement to treat their irritable bowel syndrome. After a four-week trial, 30 percent of the patients saw improvement or complete remission in their condition. By contrast, only 1 percent of subjects in the placebo group saw an improvement.
- Furthermore, a later study in 2011 yielded similar results. In this trial, constipated rats given aloe ferox in their water supply saw an improvement in their condition. There were also no adverse side effects nor were there any ill-effects on the kidney or liver.
- Packs a Nutritional Kick - Aloe ferox is said to be far more nutritionally dense and rich in a plethora of vitamins, minerals, and amino acids. Its rich nutritional profile also helps combat inflammation in the gastrointestinal tracts.
- A 2007 research revealed aloe ferox leaf gel to exhibit strong phytochemical and polyphenol content. Researchers concluded that the gel may show promise as a natural remedy for alleviating a number of diseases, including diabetes and neurodegeneration.
- Antimicrobial - Aloe ferox has strong antimicrobial properties that are able to kill the bad bacteria which lead to acute constipation.
- Promotes Healthy Skin - Like its plant cousin aloe vera, aloe ferox is also extremely potent at improving skin conditions. It also acts as a humectant, meaning that it attracts and seals in moisture. This is vital for both skin and hair health as it promotes skin elasticity and prevents hair from tangling and splitting.
- In this study, rats with atopic dermatitis were given an aloe vera or aloe ferox supplement. While both groups saw a reduction in skin inflammation, the ferox group saw noticeably more improvement. The results suggest that aloe ferox may be effective as a natural alternative to antihistamines for treating chronic dermatitis
Herbs have been used for centuries by our ancestors to prevent, treat, and manage a variety of infections and diseases. Slippery elm bark is one such herb that is thousands of years old. Native Americans used slippery elm bark to treat diarrhea, sore throats, and skin conditions. Thanks to advancements in science, today we understand this powerful herb even more and the benefits it offers. Let's take a closer look.
What Is Slippery Elm Bark Powder?
Slippery elm bark powder comes from the slippery elm tree, which originates in North America. Its unique name is derived from the fact that the inner bark becomes "slippery" when moisture such as water or saliva comes into contact with it. The resulting slippery substance is known as mucilage, and it's the component of slippery elm bark powder that makes the herb so valuable. This inner bark is popular for its numerous health benefits.
Benefits of Slippery Elm Bark Powder
Slippery elm bark powder is a popular herbal treatment for a variety of digestive disorders, but it's also a powerful anti-inflammatory that is used to treat sore throats and other types of pain.
- Digestive Efficiency - According to Kaiser Permanente, slippery elm bark is beneficial to the entire digestive system. For those who are experiencing diarrhea, slippery elm soothes the irritation that typically occurs in the intestines. This herb is also useful for easing the symptoms of heartburn and reflux as well as coating and soothing the walls of the digestive tract in individuals who suffer from gastritis.
- Treatment for Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Irritable bowel syndrome is a chronic intestinal disorder that results in painful bloating, constipation, and diarrhea. Studies have shown that formulas consisting of slippery elm bark powder are beneficial in relieving the uncomfortable symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome.
- Anti-Inflammatory for Sore Throats - Slippery elm bark is known for its anti-inflammatory properties. It is commonly used in lozenges to alleviate sore throats as well as the powder form that instantly coats and protects the back of your throat from further irritations.
- Topical Wound Treatment - Due to its anti-inflammatory and soothing abilities, slippery elm bark is used to help soothe and heal burns and wounds as a topical application for the skin. It is also used to alleviate the pain from toothaches and cold sores.
What Is Senna Leaf?
Senna leaf is an herb that comes from senna plants in North Africa. Senna leaf powder is a ground form of the leaf of the senna herb, and it's slightly sweet in flavor, but also has some bitterness to it.
Senna leaf has long been used for constipation and is also a relatively effective anti-parasitic. The senna plant's leaves, flowers, and pods have been used for centuries specifically for these purposes.
Benefits of Senna Leaf Powder
Senna leaf tea is a viable short-term treatment for constipation.
- Stimulates Bowel Movements - Senna stimulates bowel movements by repressing the muscles that hold onto stool and activating the muscles that work to push stool through the intestines. Before the senna leaf is able to work to stimulate bowel movements, the sennosides in the senna leaf herb must change into rheinanthrones by healthy bacteria in the colon.
- May Also Treat Hemorroids -Senna leaf powder's ability to alleviate constipation might also make it useful for treating hemorrhoids, though further studies are needed to support this notion.
- Anti-inflammatory & Anti-parasitic - Senna is also believed to have anti-inflammatory and anti-parasitic properties.
What Is Milk Thistle Seed Powder?
Some of the most powerful herbal remedies have been around for hundreds or even thousands of years. Milk thistle seed powder is no exception. In fact, milk thistle has been used for over 2,000 years as an herbal remedy for liver problems.
The milk thistle plant originates from southern Europe, Russia, Asia, and North Africa. However, it is also currently grown in Australia and both North and South America. Let's take a closer look at one of the most popular herbal supplements.
Milk thistle seed powder is an extract from the milk thistle plant. The main active component of this extract is silymarin. Milk thistle also contains a group of active ingredients known as flavonolignans. Flavonolignans contain a flavonoid unit and phenylpropane component that is connected to an oxeran ring. Together these, active components of milk thistle seed powder offer an abundance of benefits to those who suffer from a number of ailments.
Benefits of Milk Thistle Seed Powder
Milk thistle seed powder is used for a variety of medical benefits, including:
- Prevent Bone Loss - Milk thistle seed has been shown to have antioxidant properties. Silymarin is the compound in milk thistle seed powder that is responsible for these valuable antioxidant properties. One study showed that this antioxidant characteristic may be beneficial in preventing bone loss and helping to build bone in individuals with osteoporosis.
- Treat Damaged Skin - Studies show that milk thistle can help treat skin damage that is caused by ultraviolet radiation and DNA damage. This is because milk thistle has been found to be an effective antioxidant and shows good cytoprotective properties.
- Manage Blood Glucose Levels - Millions of Americans are currently living with diabetes in the United States. Diabetes means blood glucose levels are elevated. Failure to properly manage diabetes can lead to very serious health complications including cardiovascular disease, damage to organs, and even amputations. Studies show that milk thistle seed has the potential to help manage both diabetes and associated complications.
- Treat Liver Disease - Milk thistle is most commonly known for its ability to be beneficial to those who suffer from liver and gallbladder diseases. Research established that milk thistle improves liver function numbers in individuals who suffer from chronic liver disease.
- Inhibit Tumor Growth - Studies also explain that milk thistle can be effective in preventing the growth of tumors. Further research is needed to understand the mechanism behind milk thistle's role in inhibiting tumor growth. This same study reports that milk thistle increases individuals' immunity to infectious diseases.
What Are Fennel Seeds?
Fennel seeds come from the fennel plant and are known for their potent aroma. Widely used in India, Greece, and China, fennel seeds provide rich flavor in various dishes, but they're also known to be packed with a nutritious punch. More specifically, fennel seeds have long been used as a digestive aid and anti-inflammatory supplement, and they may provide a host of other health benefits.
Health Benefits of Fennel Seed Powder
Adding fennel seed powder to a daily regimen may offer a number of health benefits.
- Cardiovascular Health - Some studies suggest that fennel seeds may help to promote good heart health because of their high fiber content. Fiber has been linked to a reduction in certain cardiovascular disease factors, including high cholesterol levels. Fennel seeds may also contribute to a healthy heart because it contains specific nutrients that have been associated with heart health, including calcium, magnesium, and potassium.
- One particular scientific review of a handful of studies showed that a higher intake of dietary fiber is associated with a reduced risk of cardiovascular disease.
- May Have Antibacterial Properties - Some studies suggest that fennel seeds may be effective in hindering the growth of certain types of bacteria, including E.coli and staphylococcus.
- Helps Regulate Blood Pressure - Chewing on fennel seeds can help to increase the production of nitrite in saliva, which is linked to regulating blood pressure levels.
- Helps With Digestion -The volatile oils in fennel seeds may help with digestion by encouraging the production of gastric enzymes. This can help alleviate indigestion, bloating, constipation, and IBS.
- May Have Anti-Inflammatory Properties - Fennel contains vitamin C and quercetin, which are both powerful antioxidants that can help reduce inflammation and inflammatory markers.
- May Alleviate Symptoms of Menopause - A scientific review of studies found that fennel may be effective at alleviating common menopausal symptoms, including hot flashes, vaginal itching and dryness, and sleep issues.
- Reduces Water Retention - Fennel seeds may act as a diuretic. As such, it can help eliminate excess fluid from the body, particularly in those who retain water. Further, fennel seeds may be able to reduce the risk of urinary tract infections by flushing out toxins as excess water is removed from the body.
- May Help Suppress the Appetite - As already mentioned, fennel seeds contain lots of fiber, which can help to increase feelings of satiety and therefore suppress the appetite.
- May Protect Against Certain Cancers - Certain compounds found in the fennel seed may be useful in reducing the risk of developing certain types of cancers. Anethole, for instance, is an active compound found in fennel seeds, that has been shown to potentially possess anti-cancer properties.
- One study found that anethole was able to hinder the growth of human cancer cell growth in breast cancer cells and even cause cancer cell death. Other animal studies have shown that fennel seeds may be effective at protecting against liver cancer.
What Is Cayenne Red Pepper Fruit Powder?
Cayenne red pepper fruit powder or more commonly cayenne pepper is found in almost every spice cabinet in the United States. It is derived from chili seeds, and it's known for adding a little heat to many well-known dishes. What isn't as well-known is the health benefits cayenne pepper provides as a spice as well as a dietary supplement. Let's take a closer look at cayenne red pepper fruit powder!
The main compound in red peppers is known as Capsaicin and is associated with numerous health benefits. It is a phytochemical that is found in most red and chili peppers. The two most common capsaicinoids in cayenne red pepper are capsaicin and dihydrocapsaicin. These phytochemicals are commonly used in cosmetic products, pharmaceuticals, and agro-foods. Capsaicin is now gaining popularity as a dietary supplement that is beneficial to one's health. Let's take a look at the benefits offered by cayenne red pepper fruit powder.
Benefits of Cayenne Red Pepper Fruit Powder
Cayenne red pepper fruit powder is used for a variety of medical benefits, including:
- Anti-Cancer Properties - Studies explain that capsaicin, the active compound in cayenne red pepper may have anti-cancer properties. The mechanism behind this phenomenon is that capsaicin interferes with and alters the genes of the cells that are involved with the growth and reproduction of cancer cells.
- Reduce Neuropathic Pain - Neuropathic pain presents as abnormal sensations or pain of the nervous system. Damage to the nervous system and certain diseases can cause neuropathic pain. Evidence suggests capsaicin as a topical treatment can help provide relief to those who suffer from neuropathic pain.
- Treat Idiopathic Rhinitis - Idiopathic rhinitis is a broad term that encompasses a number of nasal conditions of which the causes are unknown. The Academic Medical Centre in the Netherlands conducted a study showing that patients who suffer from idiopathic rhinitis benefit from intranasal capsaicin treatment.
- Anti-Inflammatory Properties - Thanks to the active ingredient capsaicin, cayenne red peppers are known as anti-inflammatory. Research suggests that capsaicin is effective in treating pulmonary arterial hypertension by reducing inflammation.
What Is Cascara Sagrada?
Cascara sagrada is a shrub from the buckthorn tree family that grows in the United States and some parts of South America. Its dried bark has been used for medicinal purposes, particularly as a laxative to alleviate constipation.
Cascara sagrada has long been used for centuries by Native Americans to treat a number of ailments, such as:
- Digestive issues
- Muscle and joint pain
Benefits of Cascara Sagrada
Cascara sagrada has been used to treat the following ailments with some degree of success.
- Constipation - The predominant use of cascara sagrada is to treat constipation. Cascara sagrada has certain chemicals called anthraquinones that stimulate the bowel and cause muscle contractions in the intestines1. In turn, these contractions help push stool through the bowels.
- Gallstones And Liver Disease - It has been suggested that cascara sagrada may be able to help treat gallstones and liver disease. Further, some holistic health care practitioners believe that natural enemas made with cascara sagrada and other substances may be used as a gallbladder flush to help with the passage of gallstones.
What Is Burdock Root Powder?
Burdock root powder is a ground-up form of the burdock root vegetable that grows mainly in Asia and Europe, although it now grows extensively in the United States. Burdock root has been shown to have anti-inflammation and anti-bacterial properties. It has also been linked to detoxification of the skin, blood, and lymphatic systems. In fact, burdock root has been used for thousands of years specifically for these purposes, as well as a holistic medicine for digestion.
Burdock root powder’s properties are thought to have been linked to its quercetin and luteolin, which are phenolic acids that are known to be potent antioxidants.
Benefits Of Burdock Root Powder
For centuries, ancient civilizations have used burdock root as part of traditional medicine. Researchers are increasingly discovering a variety of health benefits associated with taking burdock root, including the following.
- Purifies The Blood - The active ingredients in burdock root purify the blood and remove harmful heavy metals. In turn, this detoxification process can help to improve overall organ health and foster healthy blood circulation.
- Acts As A Natural Diuretic - Diuretics help to eliminate excess water from the body by stimulating the kidneys, which can provide relief for those who retain water. Since burdock root acts as a natural diuretic, it can help the body and blood remove waste more effectively.
- Treats Skin Conditions - Burdock root may be able to alleviate severe skin issues when applied topically, such as acne, eczema, and psoriasis. Studies have shown that burdock root may be able to calm such conditions thanks to its cleansing and toxic-eliminating effects on the blood. Furthermore, some studies suggest that burdock root may be associated with slowing down the aging process of the skin.
- One study, in particular, showed that topical treatment with burdock root extracts greatly improved the dermal extracellular matrix metabolism, leading to a reduction in wrinkles.
- Combats Diabetes - Those who suffer from diabetes may be able to better manage their blood sugar levels by using burdock root, which may be able to lower blood sugar and improve digestion thanks to the presence of inulin, a prebiotic fiber.
- Some animal studies have also linked burdock root with a reduction in the severity of complications stemming from diabetes.
- Acts As A Powerful Antioxidant - Burdock root contains several different types of powerful antioxidants, such as quercetin, phenolic, and luteolin acids. Antioxidants play a crucial role in protecting the cells from oxidative damage created by free radicals. They're also integral in helping to treat various health issues.
- Alleviates Pain From Arthritis - Patients suffering from arthritis often take prescribed pharmaceutical medication to fight the pain associated with this condition. But burdock root may be a great natural supplement that patients can take to further reduce the pain suffered from arthritis.
- One particular study found that burdock root tea can reduce inflammation and oxidative stress in patients with degenerative joint disease of the knee.
- Strengthens The Lymphatic System - The lymphatic system plays a crucial role in maintaining optimal health and is tasked with serving as the body's drainage system. A strong lymphatic system will make it easier to fight off disease. As a natural detoxifier and cleanser, burdock root may be able to help promote better lymphatic drainage and detoxification.
What Is Buckthorn Bark?
Buckthorn bark is made from the European buckthorn shrub and rhamnus frangula tree, which is native to Europe, the western part of Asia, and the Middle East. It has been used for medicinal purposes since the 1600s, mainly as a laxative to treat constipation and other issues that may arise as a result of this condition, such as hemorrhoids and irritation.
Buckthorn bark powder is available as an alternative health supplement and may be used in the form of tablets, dried extract powder capsules, or tea. The bark tastes sweet and slightly bitter.
Benefits Of Buckthorn Bark Powder
- Natural Stool Softener - Buckthorn bark is typically used as a laxative to alleviate constipation and any sub-issues that arise from this condition. The compounds in the bark, called anthraquinones, work by increasing the colon’s ability to contract and reducing water absorption by the intestines, allowing more liquid to be left in the colon. As a result, larger, softer stools are produced, which then eases constipation.
- May Help Treat Intestinal Issues - Issues that may arise as a result of constipation, such as hemorrhoids and anal fissures, may also be treated with buckthorn bark powder. Since the supplement serves as an effective stool softener, it can make bowel movements less painful and more comfortable for those with these issues.
What Is Bentonite Clay?
Bentonite clay, also known as "healing clay" is a type of absorbent clay that is formed from aged volcanic ash found all over the world. Today, bentonite clay is predominantly harvested in the U.S., France, and Italy.
This specific type of clay has a unique ability to absorb toxins in the body. As such, many have been using bentonite clay to detoxify the body. In fact, bentonite clay has been used for centuries as a detoxifying agent in ancient cultures.
Today, many people use it to improve skin tone and digestion, in addition to detoxifying the body. In turn, the body may be better able to fight disease and illness. Bentonite clay is now used as a wellness product and may be either applied to the skin topically or ingested.
Benefits of Bentonite Clay
Bentonite clay has a long track record of medicinal uses, and while there are few human clinical trials that have been done on this substance, the lab and animal studies that have been done reveal that bentonite clay shows some great promise. Here are some of the benefits of bentonite clay.
- May Help Eliminate Harmful Toxins From the Body - Because bentonite clay is highly absorptive, it may be able to draw many heavy metals and toxins out of the body. More specifically, it may be able to attract positively-charged particles in the body because of its negative electric charge. Many toxins — including heavy metals and free radicals — are positively charged, making the negatively-charged bentonite able to attract these particles and draw them out of the body.
- One animal study found that pigs who ate bentonite clay for a few months experienced a reduction in the concentration of lead in their blood, bones, hair, brain, liver, and kidneys.
- In another study, rabbits who were fed food with aflatoxins, which are carcinogenic toxins, showed an improvement in reproductive function after bentonite was introduced into their feed.
- May Help Promote Better Digestion - Eliminating toxins and heavy metals from the gut can help promote better digestion, and that's exactly what bentonite clay may be able to do. Research has shown that bentonite clay can help extract toxins from the body.
- In terms of improving digestion, bentonite clay can bind to certain toxins like aflatoxins, as mentioned earlier, which are common in the standard North American diet. An overabundance of aflatoxins can lead to liver damage and even the development of certain cancers.
- In one animal study, researchers discovered that the molecules in bentonite clay are able to bind to bovine rotavirus and bovine coronavirus in cows, which are two significant viruses that can cause gastroenteritis.
- May Treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Bentonite clay may also be effective in treating irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
- In one study, patients with IBS who took 3g of bentonite clay twice daily for eight weeks saw improvements in their digestion compared to those in the placebo group.
- May Promote Better Skin - The skin can benefit from the use of bentonite clay. Acne, rashes, allergic reactions, and blemishes can all potentially be alleviated with the use of bentonite clay.
- In one study, participants who applied a bentonite clay lotion showed a reduction in the severity of poison ivy, particularly when it was applied before coming into contact with poison ivy. The study's participants also showed improvements in chronic dermatitis when a solution containing bentonite clay was applied to the skin.
- Another study conducted on people with mild acne showed that applying a mask containing bentonite clay twice a week (for six weeks) experienced a significant reduction in the number of lesions.
- May Help Combat Bacterial Infections - Many bacterial infections have become resistant to antibiotics, such as MRSA, which is a type of staph. This particular bacteria can cause several issues, ranging in severity from skin infections to infections of the blood. However, bentonite clay may actually be effective at combating bacteria like MRSA and step in where conventional medicines are unable to be effective.
- One study showed that certain bacteria — both resistant and nonresistant to antibiotics — could be killed off by exposing them to bentonite clay. In the study7, it was shown that the clay's minerals may have antibacterial properties that might be effective at killing harmful bacterial infections like MRSA.
- May Help With Thyroid Function - Some animal studies suggest that bentonite clay may help to absorb certain thyroid hormones that can help alleviate hyperthyroidism, showing that bentonite clay may be a viable alternative to help lower thyroid levels.
- May Help Strengthen Immunity - A significant portion of the immune system lives inside of the gut microbiome. When the gut is unhealthy, immunity weakens. That's because toxins can more easily leach into the blood when the gut wall is compromised.
Strengthen The Intestinal Wall - Bentonite clay may be effective at strengthening the gut wall. By protecting the gut wall, the number of toxins, chemicals, and bacteria entering the blood will be limited, thereby helping to strengthen the immune system and protect the body.
- Some studies suggest that bentonite clay may not only fight off infections and viruses, but it may also work to keep the gut wall strong.
- May Help Slow the Growth of Certain Cancers - Bentonite clay's ability to extract toxins from the body may play a role in slowing the growth of tumors in certain cancers.
- One study found that bentonite clay slowed the growth of cancer cell line U251, a type of cancer cell found in glioblastomas.
- Another study found that bentonite clay was able to kill off Caco-2 cancer cells, which is a colorectal cancer line. The researchers found that the clay caused oxidative stress only on the cancer cells without harming healthy cell material.
Now that you know what goes into zuPOO you have a complete understanding of how it works. We formulated zuPOO as a powerful colon cleanse to keep your digestive system running smoothly all year-round. With 10 researched-backed ingredients zuPOO is guaranteed to flush you out, click here to purchase zuPOO today!
If you are currently taking any prescribed any medication or have any medical predispositions/ailments, it's extremely important to consult with your doctor prior to mixing zuPOO with any medications.